26.7.13

MANGO STICKY RICE @ INSTAGRAM



Two years ago I visited my brother in Thailand -Koh Samui. He lives in a house on the beach and he's looking over the turquoise sea. Yep... Paradise it is. But first we had to see Bangkok of course. Wow. What can I say; big; impressive; a lot of Tuk Tuk (I thought I was going to die, literally, I didn't see anything during this trip but my hands), temples, street stalls and unorganized traffic. Messy, but energetic. We didn't had a lot of time in Bangkok, just a few days so we decided to do very fancy things (dinner at State Tower -indescribably view) and the more 'it's in the Lonely Planet'-ones: the floating market. Very touristic, but since I never go to Bangkok that often, we had to do it. Maybe a little bit naive, but honestly I wanted to do this because I thought that they would sell a lot of good Thai food! Bummer... Only tons of way too expensive souvenirs. The only boat that really caught my eye was the one with a very old woman, cutting mangoes and stirring in a large pan with rice. Mango Sticky Rice. Fantastic. Perfection. Heaven.  
When I saw a mango in my fruit bowl, a brilliant idea popped up. It's a bit different, but -oh my- it's delicious. For the recipe I used:

Brown rice (for 2 persons)
1 big mango
Spring union
1 red pepper
Handful of mint
Handful of coriander
Coconut milk
1 tbsp of rice syrup 
1 tbsp of coconut oil
2 tbsp of Mirin

Boil the rice (cover the pan with a tightly fitting lid), turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix the Mirin with the rice syrup together with the coconut milk. Stir in the coconut milk the spring union, chopped pepper, mango, mint and coriander. Simmer it for a while. Mix it with the rice. Thaan hoi aroy!  
Made @ Koh Phangan by me

No comments:

Post a Comment